It was wonderful to meet many of you and say hello to familiar faces at the Meet and Greet last Tuesday. I am looking forward to working with your children this year! I think we are going to have a great year!
Here are a few things I’d like to remind you of for the first day of school:
- Morning Procedures: Please make sure your children go to the playground side of the red line if they arrive before school starts. ALL students should be on the playground before school starts, not hanging out in the hallways or out by the portables. If they want to stand with you, we ask that you please wait with them on the playground. This ensures the morning duty teachers can see the children. It is not safe for children to be playing in the hallways or near the portables before school starts, and it can also be disruptive to teachers preparing for the day or having a morning conference with parents. Teachers would appreciate parent assistance this year in gently reminding other parents and students that ALL students should be on the playground before school starts and should not congregate in the hallways or near the portables. Thank you for helping support this! The first day of school, students may come into the classroom starting at 8:50 a.m. Please do not bring them in earlier.
- What to Write Your Child’s Name On: Please write your child’s name on the following items: backpack, Take Home folder, and water bottle. Also, if your child brings a jacket to school, please write their name on the tag inside the jacket. This really helps me identify the owners of belongings I might find left behind in the classroom! The rest of the supplies (markers, colored pencils, etc.) we share as community supplies, so please do not write your child’s name on these.
- Schedule: School starts at 9:00 a.m. every day. The tardy bell rings at 9:04 a.m. If your child arrives after 9:04 a.m., please sign him/her in at the front office. If you know your child will be absent, please call the front office to let them know. Dismissal on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays is at 3:50 p.m. On Wednesdays, children are dismissed at 12:40 p.m.
- Breakfast: Please make sure your child eats a good breakfast each morning. Breakfast is served at 8:30 a.m. in the Monte Vista cafeteria. If you are running late, you may send something with your child to eat in the morning. I do let students eat in the classroom if they haven’t eaten at home. I want each student to be healthy, happy, and ready to have a good day!
- School Supplies: If you are unable to purchase all the school supplies, don’t worry! Just bring in what you can! All your child absolutely needs for the first day is the Take Home folder, two notebooks, a backpack, and a plan for lunch. If you need help purchasing any items, please let me know.
- Parent Homework: Please complete and return the parent homework, emergency contact information, and homework menu — all papers are located in the folder I gave you at the Meet and Greet. I would like this the first day of school if possible. If you didn’t make it to the Meet and Greet, please stop in to pick up an information folder for your child.
- Bus Riders: If your child is riding the bus tomorrow morning, our EA Alexsandra (Alex) will meet them at the bus stop to help carry supplies to the classroom and explain the morning routine. So far I know of three children riding the bus to school tomorrow morning. If you haven’t already let me know, please send me a quick e-mail, and I’ll make sure Alex is looking out for them too!
- Morning Routine: You are welcome to accompany your children into the classroom this first day of school to help them put their supplies in the designated places, but then we ask that you allow your children space to get acquainted with their new classmates, teachers, and classroom routines. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in the classroom, so please ask me if you’d like to volunteer. We’ll also take many field trips this year, and we’d love for you to join us!
That’s all for now! I can’t wait for school to start!